You may remember six years ago when 3-D television sets were all the rage. Disney even created ESPN 3-D as a premium service. It didn’t last long. I believe this had to do with people not really wanting to pay a premium to stick silly goggles on their heads in the middle of a social experience.
Well, what makes VR different? VR is much, much more immersive. Don’t believe me? Go to one of the pop-up stores that isn’t closed or get one of Google Cardboard viewers and use your smartphone, they’re really cheap. 3-D TVs were an expensive novelty and VR is an inexpensive immersive experience. Still don’t believe me? Than look at what’s happening in the adult entertainment industry. You can Google that one yourself.
So what does that mean to us not in the adult entertainment business? It means we have to learn new forms of storytelling. We need to adapt our techniques and tools to what’s next. We need to educate ourselves on the cutting edge.
Most importantly, I do believe that VR is the next big thing but it’s not going to completely take over entertainment and advertising. It’s going to become another platform much like mobile, set-top and the web are now. Or a better analogy might be gaming. Gaming is huge but it hasn’t taken over traditional media and entertainment platforms and also isn’t for everyone.
Now that 360 video is available to anyone with a smartphone smart marketers are figuring out how they can use it to connect with customers and sell more products. Here are a few uses you may not have thought of yet:
- Product demonstrations in real world environments. Traditional video can only show a demonstration in 2d. With 360 video you can really see and feel how a product works in a real world setting. Imagine getting in a new car without driving to a dealership.
- Previewing locations. In the hotel or travel business? Don’t make your future guests guess what it will be like staying in one of your rooms. Show them in experiential video.
- Integrate 360 product video right into your e-commerce experience. Imagine what a few percentage points better online conversion can do for you metrics.
- Bring your advertising campaign to life. Add a 360 competent to your campaign and ask potential customers to experience your brand in a new way.
- Use 360 live video to offer customers a live and direct VR brand experience.
These are just a few ways we think 360 video is going to transform marketing in the near future. Want a little help getting your 360 brand experience up and running? We’re here to help.